Saturday, August 13, 2016

Joseph Schooling wins Olympic Gold Medal - the first ever for Singapore



Today (13 Aug'15) is a historic day for Singapore, at least in as far as her sporting achievements are concerned.

The last time Singapore had a Olympic Medalist was in 1960, when Mr Tan Howe Liang claimed the Silver Medal for Men's Weightlifting.

Singapore's National Swimmer Joseph Isaac Schooling has won Singapore's first ever Olympic Gold medal in the Men's 100m Butterfly in the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

Not only did Schooling managed to out-perform world champions like László Cseh of Hungary, two-time world champion Chad le Clos of South Africa and his childhood idol Michael Phelps, 22-Olympic Gold medal winner; he did it and set a new Olympic record.

And the best part about his win?

Schooling paid tribute to all those who were with him, supporting, cheering him on  for his journey.

Straight after his historic golden feat, Schooling told Singapore media: 
"This swim wasn't for me. It's for my country. 
"Some people believe that Singapore has a lot of talent. I believe that. It doesn't matter where you're from really. I hope this opens new doors for sports in our country and I hope I've set a precedent for the young in our country. 
"It's been a hard road, I've done something that no one in our country has done before. I've received a lot of support and that's phenomenal, that's great. I can't really describe what that means. 
"But it's been a tough road, I'm not going to lie, the first guy through the wall is always bloody. I had to take that blow. 
"I'm thankful and I'm blessed that I have the ability to accomplish this. This moment is not about me, it's really for my country, it's all about my coaches, my family, my friends who believed from when I was a six-year-old kid, that I could do it."
Straits Times



Well done lah Bro. We are all sibei proud of you.






Update:
MOE is probably just as proud as any Singaporean of Schooling's win.
But they had to be the 'responsible adult' and remind the kids that Monday's going to be a normal schooling day. Sorry kids.

LOL



No comments:

Post a Comment