Thursday, February 16, 2017

[Defending the Lion City] Keeping Us Safe Everyday - Singapore's Home Team





FRONTLINERS - Episode 1
Frontliners is a web series about National Servicemen in the SPF and SCDF produced to commemorate 50 years of National Service this year. Catch a glimpse of the extraordinary experiences the National Servicemen faced in this prologue.




Very often, our Brothers serving in the S'pore Police Force (SPF), S'pore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) and other Home Team agencies, are often overlooked when the topic of National Service comes up. The spotlight is always on the SAF - not because of any other reason, except that the armed forces makes up the largest intake of NS servicemen -therefore the most visible.

There may be endless friendly debates or jibs about whose service is more "siong" (hardship) but that doesn't mean that Home Team servicemen serve Singapore in any lesser capacity or importance.

The reality is that Home Team servicemen are often exposed to real-life situations which can be dangerous and horrifying on a daily basis. Here's an extract of what one SDCF serviceman (‘longtailbutterfly’) had to say.

"... 
At lunch the next day my friend (SAF LTA) tells me how stressful being an instructor at SAFTI has been recently. I remember as my cylinder got trapped on the fallen wire, and how I thought of my family in those few struggling seconds. I nod my head and grunt. " SAF has it tough with JCC and everything huh?" I joke. He agrees enthusiastically.
All in a day’s work for the NSFs in SPF/SCDF. If we fail, someone dies from our direct actions. Welcome to NS. No second chances or semula. Just death. I wish the public knew the risks that some NSFs take each day. We might not be as fit as NDU or as garang as commandos, but we put our lives on the line literally every day.
As an NSF I can say I have contributed to Singapore. No play acting or training for a war that will never happen (though I understand the incredible need for an armed military). I love my job, I love NS and wouldn't trade it for anything else (maybe an EMT vocation).
I am still amazed that many members of public still associate NS with army. I wish more people would know. There's no greater feeling in this world than knowing some uncle I helped rescue on my first duty at 0200 will live to eat his favourite mee pok or talk cock with his kakis because of my direct actions. Take a look at every fire or major rescue / ambulance incident in the news. Chances are 70% of the people that responded to that incident are NSFs. Whenever I get my haircut at QB the auntie always asks me "boy you army ah?" and I've run out of effort to correct her. Pride and care right?  ..."
SDCF serviceman ‘longtailbutterfly’ (See the full Reddit Post here)

No matter what your NS service branch, vocation or role, we should all recognize that all of us are small but extremely vital cogs in a larger whole called Singapore.

Keep safe and Thank you all for your service to our country.




#DefendingtheLionCity #NationalService #NS50 #OurHomeOurTeam 

No comments:

Post a Comment